Sunday 18 December 2011

Rampur Neighbourhood


Rampur Neighbourhood, Watercolour on Paper, (14" x 10.5")


My mothers family migrated to Nagpur from Konkan about 80 years ago (before independence).  A very small portion of their once extensive property still remains in Konkan though, with nobody to take care of it, except a small farmer who had leased the land for tilling but hasnt paid his dues for the last 25 years. Recently I had the opportunity to visit this small place. Its in a small village called Rampur. This was my first trip to Konkan.
Anyone who visits the place has to fall in love with the thatched roof houses, fields, palm and coconut trees, temples and hills ( I almost forgot the beaches). No wonder so many artists in India love making paintings of Konkan.
The above painting is of the farmhouse on my great grandpa's farm. Comments and critiques please....

5 comments:

Pragya Tiwari said...

Very serene!

Studio at the Farm said...

Somehow, Vinayak, you have managed to convey your love of the area in your painting. I do love how you have gently brought the blues into the shadows of the buildings and the trees.

Vinayak Deshmukh said...

Thank you Pragya and Kathryn.

Anonymous said...

I want to say how much I like the color and atmosphere in this one; unfortunately I'm deterred by the addition of the copyright, smack through the painting.
Maybe it's just me. I prefer as full an amount of presentation as is possible through the net, in order to give viewers the best chance possible to experience the piece, respond to it. That part is more important to me than the marginal concern that someone might profit from a copy.
It's a deterrent allright - makes me not even want to look. Like I said though, maybe it's just me.

Vinayak Deshmukh said...

I get the point A. Decker. Perhaps I must place the copyright a little closer to the margins or corners. Thanks anyways.